Saturday, August 22, 2009

Doula Training

I returned to Seattle late Tuesday night and spent the last four days in a doula training intensive. Intense it was...in very good ways. For those of you who do not know a doula (doo-la) is a labor support person for birthing mothers. For those of you who do know, I would like to one day become a midwife and doula-ing is sort of a first step in that direction.

Spending the last four days learning about birth and birth support has only reinforced this calling of mine. It has also made me wonder why I have taken two years to begin to pursue it and why I have plans in place that will put unnecessary turns and forks in this road.

What I am saying is that I know quite certainly what I am called to do in this world and I think I want to start doing it. So, I am looking for apartments in Seattle and thinking of settling here for a good while. I would like to follow through with my doula certification and begin to apprentice some very wise doula/midwives I have and have not met here. There are two organizations in particular I would like to explore being a part of: one is called Open Arms (openarmsps.org) and the other is called Birth Attendants (birthattendants.com) . These organizations provide free doula support to incarcerated women, teen moms and women who would otherwise birth alone. I also would like to begin to take classes to prepare me for a masters in midwifery.

These plans are still very new and, as always, subject to swaying and shifting. But it is a start in a new direction for me, perhaps. Just wanted to let you all know.

7 comments:

lazy bones said...

Open Arms seems like a really wonderful organization. Bringing support and love to an otherwise inhumane setting seems to be a very fitting role for you.

DeeDee said...

Hey Rachel - how are you? ARe you planning on being at Erin's wedding over Labor Day? WOuld love to see you - miss you!

:) DeeDee

davisconfused said...

i see such certainty as a blessing. through this pursuit you will continue to do great service to the world. thank you. bet you'll find a good place to live soon.

abigail deon said...

this is wonderful to hear rae. even though the trek has taken two years, you are starting now. and it's going to be a beautiful journey no doubt.

About me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Piero said...

Entonces Agua Prieta ya no? Te voy a echar un fon pronto, porque cada vez que hablo contigo parece que tu vida cambia a lo cabron, jajaja... :)

mabel said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://maternitymotherhood.net